Zombies are non-player pirates that can be challenged to rumble brawls. They can spawn in groups on islands, or can be summoned to a location with the help of special zombie charms. They are one of four types of fray-based monsters; the other three being skellies, werewolves and vampirates. Zombies that are defeated will distribute Pieces of Eight and trinkets to the victors, before fleeing the island. One fortunate pirate will receive a Sea Monster Hunt map.
Zombies can spawn on a random island (provided no other monsters are present), in a group of 5 to 25, and may be challenged to rumble brawls. If zombies are present on an island, it will be cursed with darkness until they are defeated. They often appear near a portal arrow (either the dock arrow or a building arrow). If an island has buildings, they may be near multiple arrows. On uninhabited islands, they may occasionally appear near the island's inscription instead, if the island has one.
Zombies which have spawned on a heavily built-up island may be difficult or impossible to find, since they can spawn behind buildings.
Charms that will summon zombies to an island may be won from black boxes found at a black market. They come in three sizes: minor (summons 5 zombies), medium (summons 15 zombies), and major (summons 25 zombies). Zombies cannot be summoned to an island on which there is a group of monsters already.
Players may enter the fray in order to help remove zombies from an island.
In order to defeat zombies, pirates must first volunteer to fight the zombies. This is done by selecting "Join the fray" from a zombie's radial menu. When a pirate chooses to join the fray, a confirmation box will appear reading, "I'll be havin' 100 pieces of eight if ye lose.". Accepting this will place the pirate in the fray and deduct 100 PoE from their purse. Any number of pirates can join the fray.
Pirates who have joined the fray are known as "challengers" and the zombies will welcome them with a /tell:
- "GraaAAaaAAauuugh! FleSSHy piRut fiGHt ZOMbEes! mE gOt DibSeEeS oN yER dRuMsTiCKs!"
If a pirate cannot afford to join the fray, they will receive the following tell:
- "YeEeeer Broke...wE neEd rIcHer mEaT! BrIng ShInEeEs BaCk aNd wE'lL eAt yOu ThEn."
Zombies will also keep challengers informed via /tells about the current number of challengers (X) and zombies (Y):
|If there is 1 challenger|
|"HurrHArrHARRR! OnLEe onE pIret! ssSSSssNaCk TiMe!"|
|If there are between 2 and (Y) challengers|
|"MMmMMMMM! (X) jUIcY piRateS for (Y) hUngrEe ZombIES!"|
|"BrINg MorE pIruTs! (Y) wANt EaT mOre thAN (X) BrAAiIInS!"|
|"(Y) zOmbIEs crUsH (X) pUnY huMAns aNy DaY!"|
|"(X) tAStee bRaaiNs to fEEd (Y) ZombBIES! yuUMM!"|
|If there are greater than (Y) challengers|
|"MMmuuaARRrRGhh! Soo maNY flESHees! Wee wILL piCK (Y) tO rUMblE."|
If a pirate tries to join the fray but has already joined, they will receive a message:
- "HarR! SIllY pIRaT NoT KnoW iTT alrEddY iN FRaY!"
Leaving the fray
Pirates may also leave the fray by clicking on any zombie and selecting "Leave the fray". Doing so will refund the 100 PoE entry fee. In addition, if a pirate is whisked away from that island outdoor scene, they automatically leave the fray.
Pirates who have left the fray are sent the following message:
- "NnnrRRUuuuFf! LiTTlE PiRat rUn away!"
If no frays are started against a group of zombies for a set period of time, the zombies will get bored and begin to leave the island, one at a time, every five minutes. This makes it easier to fill zombie fights should they appear in very large numbers.
After a zombie leaves, all challengers will receive a message stating the new number of zombies:
- "NnnnNNRrrranK! ZOmbEe gO LoOk foRR BBrraINses! noW jUSt (Y) tO EETe (X) hUmEeeS!"
Zombies will stop leaving the island once they reach 5 in number.
Challengers vote to start the fight by selecting "Vote to start the fight" on any zombie's radial menu. It is possible to vote at any time, although many prefer to wait until the number of challengers equals the number of zombies. Upon voting, a zombie will issue a tell to that pirate:
- "AlrRItE! WeE fiGHT whEn hALF yoU PiRETs ArR reDDy."
The fight will begin once a simple majority has been reached: half the challengers in the fray plus one. Players cannot retract their vote once it has been made, except by leaving and rejoining the fray.
Zombies will not allow players to outnumber them in the fight, and will choose random pirates to participate. Those who were not selected will be refunded their 100 PoE, and will be sent the following message:
- "WeeE not FigHT you tHis time! TOOooo maNY HuMIES, Not EnuFF ZoMBIes! TakE uR shinEEs bAck!"
Zombies fight using the Rumble puzzle, and are able to fight with various bludgeons in the same way that skellies wield different swords. Zombies are tough fighters, and several attempts may be necessary to defeat them.
Ye be defeated!
Should a group of pirates lose the fight, the zombies will keep all fray entry fees. Pirates can join the fray again instantly for 100 PoE, but they cannot vote to begin the fray again for a short time. If a pirate tries to vote during this time, they will receive the following message:
- "NOoOOooo! YoOou goTta WaIt nOW cuzZ WE bEaT yOu. OTherWIsE We wOuLd eAt yOu aLl aT OncE't."
Zombies will remain on an island until they are defeated.
Once the zombies have been defeated, they will flee the island and the darkness will begin to lift.
All winning pirates receive an equal share of PoE; 1,000 PoE per zombie, as well as all fray entry fees that have been collected (this may include previous frays). One randomly chosen pirate will win a random map to a Cursed Isles, Atlantis, Haunted Seas or Kraken location. That pirate does not have to survive the fray to be awarded the map.
Pirates who were not eliminated in the fray will also be awarded a zombie hand trinket, which may be held in portraits. These pirates will also be sent the following phrase by a random zombie:
- "Muuaaaahhhhrrrrggg!!! MeEE hAaaaAAAAAAaaaaaAAAAand!!!"
Zombies which have granted a zombie hand trinket to a player will be shown leaving the island with a hand missing.
Sometimes a zombie will make a remark before the group leaves the island:
- "oWcH...I aCtUaLIeeEe fELt tHaaAaat..."
- "NoOoo fAIrrrRr...aN' YeEer bOnEsSss wErE sSssoOOo rrRripe fER gNaWiNg!!"
- "YYEAAaArarrrgg...tHaT wAassSSss AlMoSsSst aSsss BaD aS wHeN eYe DyEd tHe fIrRrsSsSssT tiMe!"
- "yE NoT dEFeAT MIghTY zoMbIeS thIS eASY! ZoMbEes aLwAYs cOMe bAcK!!!"
- "mMMmmmMMRRRrrRghfF! HOw yOU liTtLe pEEPlE beAt ZOmbeEs?!"
- "JeEpErS, yOoUoou reEeEeeally kNOw hOW to HuRt a zOmBIe."
- "MUUuuUAAAaarrrRRRRggg...ssSSssssspleeEEEarrrgg. GRRrrRRAULPH!"
Occasionally the pirates in a winning fray will receive an an uneven amount of PoE. This extra PoE was originally wagered by another group of pirates who were unable to defeat the zombies before an ocean reboot. See this post from Cephalopod for complete details.
- A puzzle standing of Distinguished and an experience level of Narrow in rumble
- At least 100 PoE on hand with which to enter the zombie battle
Clicking the button will randomly whisk pirates to a group of island zombies. If there are multiple groups present on different islands in the ocean, the mission will whisk a pirate to a random group of zombies. Zombies which have been summoned will also cause this mission to appear.
This mission, as well as the Defeat the skellies!, Defeat the werewolves! and Defeat the vampirates! missions, is a way for a pirate to explore islands which would be otherwise difficult to reach. Since islands which are visited once are memorized, pirates who regularly go on these missions are likely to have many islands plotted on their known world map.
- If, due to lag or timing, a pirate votes when he or she has already entered the fight, that zombie will send the pirate a tell:
- "MuArARRrrG! mEeeEe pUnChInG YOoOu aLlRedDy! nOW hOlD sTIl!"
- There are various colors of zombies, but these colors are random and are no indication of difficulty. All zombies are as difficult as each other.
- Ocean Masters do not give out the location of zombies.
- Zombies first appeared during the 2007 Halloween events.
- Prior to the release on 2009-05-27, zombies also required an acceptable item to be wagered in addition to the 100 PoE. That requirement was removed and zombies now deal only in PoE.
- During the 2005 and 2008 Halloween events, players could take on the appearance of zombies.
- List of known zombie adjectives
- List of known zombie names
- Spanish article: Zombi
- German article: Zombies
|Atlantis Explorers Across:|
|Barbarian Lovers Across:|
|Brigand King Hunters on:|
|Cursed Isles Attackers Across:|
|Drinking Players Across:|
|Flotilla Hunters Across:|
|Greedy brigand Hunters Across:|
|Haunted Seas Explorers Across:|
|Hearts Players Across:|
|Kraken Hunters Across:|
|Memming Players Across:|
|United Pillagers Across:|
|Skellie Hunters Across:|
|Spades Players Across:|
|Vampirate Hunters Across:|
|Werewolf Hunters Across:|
|Zombie Hunters Across:|