A black market is an island attraction building placed on a medium or large island. Players can purchase black boxes from them, which have a random item inside.
Attraction buildings are nearly identical to regular infrastructure buildings: they change ownership along with an island's governance and they do not count against an island's building limit on medium islands. There are however a few differences:
- Attraction buildings typically have a higher tax rate than standard buildings, and decay a week after failing to have their taxes paid. A black market has a base tax of 10,000 PoE.
- A limited number of attractions can be built on a given island: 1 on medium islands and 2 on large islands. Outpost islands cannot build attractions.
- Only one of each type of attraction can be built on an island at a time.
- Each attraction building has a different effect when it is built. A black market will increase the density of brigands and barbarians around nearby leagues.
An island needs only a completed fort to begin construction of a black market.
A black market sells black boxes for 10,000 PoE each. These are identical to presents in functionality, but they come with a random item inside of them. Each black box is labeled with a series number, which indicates the set of items possible inside. The probability of each item in a Series 4 black box is as follows (see Official:Black Box for the official list):
(Items in bold are new, added in with series 4.)
- Unique black market trinket (55%)
- Shipwreck, buried treasure, Viking or Imperial expedition map (16%)
- Monster summoning charm (11%)
- Monster amulet - One of zombie, skeleton, ghost or werewolf (5%)
- Brigand King compass (3.5%)
- Cursed Isles, Atlantis or Haunted Seas map (3%)
- Black piggy bank (1.8%)
- Smuggler Furniture (1.8%)
- One of Smuggler Banner, Smuggler Powder Bag, Smuggler Pyramid of Barrels, Smuggler Barrel, Smuggler Arms Crate, Smuggled Arms, or Mess Table with Cloth
- Vampire Furniture (1.2%)
- One of Vampire Bookcase, Vampire Banner, Vampiric Candelabra, or Wooden Coffin
- Dastardly moustache wax (1%)
- Black top hat (0.75%)
- Black masked bandana (0.75%)
- Black Dread Mask (0.5%)
- Empty black piggy bank furniture (0.2%)
- Rogue class ship design
- Black pet
- Black cat (0.2%)
- Black dog (0.2%)
- Black small dog (0.2%)
- Black pony (0.04%)
- Black chroma (0.15%)
- Black Sea Turtle (0.02%)
- Skeletal monkey familiar (0.02%)
- Booby Trap! (0.1%)
- Triggers a random cosmetic injury (hook, pegleg, or eyepatch) in addition to receiving one of the above items!
The numbers in parenthesis are the first black box series in which the specified trinket may be found. They may also be found in all subsequent series.
Disguise kit (1)
Forged documents (1)
Grappling hook (2)
Knucklebone dice (1)
Lockpick kit (1)
Marked cards (2)
Plunder bag (2)
Poison darts (3)
Ransom note (3)
Raven's feather (3)
Skeleton key (1)
Smoke bomb (2)
Stinking badges (3)
Throwing knives (2)
Wanted poster (3)
Rooms and furnishing
|Black market Building|
- The rent was halved from 20,000 pieces of eight to 10,000 in release 2011-03-22.
- Black markets were first released with release 2010-03-09.