A PoE sink is the term given to any part of the game that decreases the amount of PoE (Pieces of Eight) in the ocean's economy, rather than having them pass from one player to another.
Without PoE sinks, the economy would experience a significant amount of inflation as time goes by. Without effective ways of reducing the number of Pieces of Eight, with PoE fountains increasing the amount of currency running around in the system, the value of the PoE would decrease.
Below are a list of PoE sinks currently in the game.
Fees and taxes
- Fees when selling doubloons on the doubloon exchange.
- Fees paid for market bidding.
- Fees for special Ocean Master services (currently only charm and island transfers), or for official familiar auctions (which are now rare).
- Throwing a party.
- The rake in poker on the Obsidian Ocean.
- The baseline weekly rent paid for the upkeep of shoppes, stalls and buildings.
- Stall opening costs.
- Swabbie ship transport
- Sales taxes paid when purchasing items from a shoppe or stall.
- Buying any type of housing.
- Buying charts from shipyards.
- Buying commodities from merchants.
- Buying gems which spawn on a commodities market.
- Buying black boxes from a black market.
- Buying gold boxes from a bank (subscription oceans only).
- Buying items from trading posts using PoE.
- Buying portraits using an easel.
- Buying items from the palace shoppe, such as trinkets, pets, masks, or presents.
- Buying cannon balls from Ringer owned palaces via the commodities market. (new oceans only)
- Buying ships from Ringer owned shipyards or palace shoppes. (new oceans only)
- Brigands taking PoE from your ship after losing a sea battle.
- Booty or coffers PoE removed by the black ship.
- PoE belonging to deleted pirates.
- PoE remaining in the coffers of a shoppe, stall or building which dusts.
- Buying NPPs a drink and losing wagers to them.
- PoE remaining in the booty or coffers of a ship sunk during PvP sea battles, sinking blockades, or sea monster hunts.
- Ships abandoned at sea.
- War chests (note that if a defender wins, they get a portion of all war chests for a blockade)