A gold box is an opportunity to get a random prize. They can be purchased from any Gold Safe furniture item for the sum of 12 doubloons, or 25,000 Pieces of Eight on subscription oceans. Gold safes can be reliably found inside the bank on any major island.
Gold boxes are available only for a limited time every other month; specifically, in February, April, June, August, October, and December. Gold safes will sell the boxes during a ten-day period, starting at 10am Pirate Time on the first Friday of these months, and ending at 3pm Pirate Time on the second following Monday.
Gold boxes are identical to presents in functionality (including usage as floor furniture), but they come with a random item inside of them. The prizes that can be found inside gold boxes are listed below, along with their probability of appearance. Box contents and odds may change in future versions.
- 35% - Gold box trinket: One of ten different types unique to the Gold box
- 20% - Seasonal color gold box trinket
- 14% - Gold box furniture: one of
- 9% - Golden piggy bank
- 9% - Seasonal color chroma
- 6% - Seasonal color temporary hair dye
- 1.3% - Gold pet: One of:
- 1% - Knight's helm
- 1% - Golden conquistador armor
- 1% - Gold dread mask
- 1% - Empty golden piggy bank furniture
- 1% - Gold chroma
- 0.4% - Tan familiar: one of:
- 0.15% - Sea turtle pet (natural colors)
- 0.1% - Toucan familiar
- 0.05% - Sea turtle pet (gem colors)
Piggy banks are a new type of miscellaneous item. Cracking one open destroys the piggy bank and grants a pirate the PoE contained inside. The golden piggy banks found in the gold box contain a minimum of 20,000 PoE, with chances of receiving even larger amounts.
(The numbers in parenthesis are the first black box series in which the specified trinket may be found. They may also be found in all subsequent series.)
Fan letter (1)
Fancy hook (2)
Gilded cameo box (3)
Gilded goblet (2)
Gilded pin (2)
Gilded spyglass (1)
Golden hourglass (3)
Golden sextant (3)
Heart o' gold (1)
Key to the ocean (1)
Pirate code (1)
Trading post items
Gold box trinkets can be traded into any trading post for a variety of unique rewards.
- Gold safe furniture - 5 trinkets, 25,000 PoE
- Dragon figurehead furniture design:
- Gold class ship design:
- Gold boxes were first available for purchase on 2012-04-06. They were available for two weeks, but after player requests, the availability period for later gold box runs was dropped to ten days.