Clothing consists of all the tradable items purchased at a tailor. It is probably the most distinguishing difference between players' characters. Clothing is often the first thing a new player purchases. There are no limits to how much clothing a pirate can carry on them at a time. Depending on the labor and commodities required to make a product, it will decay at different rates.
There are also various clothing items which are awarded for achieving particular navy ranks.
On subscription oceans, much of the clothing available can only be worn by subscribers.
|Available to non-subscribers on subscription oceans|
|Atlantean helmet||Atlantean helmet|
|Berserker pelt||Berserker pelt|
|Cockade hat||Cockade hat|
|Enlightened mask||Enlightened mask|
|Enthralled mask||Enthralled mask|
|Feathered hat||Freebooter's hat|
|Freebooter's hat||High enlightened mask|
|High enlightened mask||Kraken tattoo|
|Patched pants||Patched pants|
|Plain knickers||Plain shirt|
|Plain shirt||Rags (legs and torso)|
|Rags (legs and torso)||Ruffian barrel|
|Scarf||Shirt with sash|
|Shirt with belt||Striped shirt|
|Sleeping hat||Stripy knickers|
|Striped shirt with vest|
|Clothing from the palace shoppe (masks, funny glasses, etc.)|
On both subscriber and doubloon oceans, there are several items that can only be worn by those who have earned a trophy for Illustrious reputation, or that can only be worn by box buyers, or is restricted by either crew or flag rank. For items requiring crew rank, the wearer must also have the appropriate badge on doubloon oceans, or on subscriber oceans, a subscription.
|Officers or above only
|Illustrious reputation trophy only
||Box buyers only
|DLC buyers only
Finally, it is not possible to wear clothing meant for the opposite sex. If a pirate is carrying such clothing, it will be in the "Miscellaneous" section of the booty panel.
- Main article: Clothing palette
Most clothing items are available in a variety of colors. They usually have a primary color, and many also have a secondary color. These are in addition in any basic colors that are not adjustable. For example, a part of the captain's hat is always white.
There are numerous possibilities for the primary and secondary colors. All of them are available from tailors except for atlantean, indigo, night blue and colors only used in promotions. For details see: color.
Some items with black, gold, and purple will have additional doubloon costs. For more information on which items fall within this category, please see the additional doubloon costs table.
Clothing, psychology and swordfighting
Wearing expensive clothing is one of the most common forms of conspicuous consumption in the game. Black clothing is particularly valued in this context as it is both a fashionable color and extremely expensive compared to almost any other color. Gold clothing is often even more expensive, but some consider the dark-yellow fabric to be less attractive than black.
In multiplayer puzzles, including the swordfighting section of sea battles, the hat/bandana is the only visible piece of clothing. One can attempt to intimidate other players/teams by wearing an unusually expensive hat. In brawls, a pirate who is wearing a particularly noticeable hat may tempt the other team to target them first.
- Originally, when clothing dusted, it would only form rags in red, blue, white and tan. Rags of other colors existed, but were only created as prizes for Ocean Master-sponsored events and could not be acquired otherwise. With release 2005-10-20, rags were generated based on the primary color of the clothing that dusted when they were generated. A few bugs with striped clothing were ironed out in the next few releases.
- With release 2007-09-04, the Atlantean helmet and other atlantean-colored clothing items were introduced. These items can only be acquired via Atlantis treasure chests and always come in "new" condition. Additionally, standard clothing items are frequently awarded via treasure chests, although always with only ten days remaining before they dust or turn to rags.
- With release 2008-11-19, the color indigo was introduced with the release of Cursed Isles. Indigo clothing can only be acquired via Cursed Isles treasure chests and always come in "new" condition. The treasure chests in Cursed Isles also contained three new types of hats: Enlightened Mask, High enlightened mask and Enthralled mask.
- With release 2010-08-24, the night blue color was introduced with Haunted Seas. Clothing of this color can only be acquired via Haunted Seas treasure chests and always come in "new" condition.
- The portrait clothing page shows how each type of clothing appears in portraits.
- Commonly discussed ideas from Game Design
- Quid Pro Clothes' Personal Design Studio
- Diamondblade's photo sheet of male clothing
- How to link to a specific individual item of clothing, when writing or editing the YPPedia