Attraction buildings are nearly identical to regular infrastructure buildings: they change ownership along with an island's governance and they do not count against an island's building limit on medium islands. There are however a few differences:
- Attraction buildings typically have a higher tax rate than standard buildings, and decay a week after failing to have their taxes paid. An explorers' hall has a base tax of 5,000 PoE.
- A limited number of attractions can be built on a given island: 1 on medium islands and 2 on large islands. Outpost islands cannot build attractions.
- Only one of any type of attraction can be built on an island at a time.
- Each attraction building has a different effect when it is built. Flags that build an explorers' hall on their island can look forward to an influx of patron and explorer reputation every time a pirate uses their building to snag a new expedition chart.
An island needs only a completed fort to begin construction of an explorers' hall.
An Explorers' hall has three tabs where intrepid explorers can purchase charts or compasses to different expeditions. The first tab will contain charts allowing players to raid the encroaching Imperial outposts, the second tab will provide pirates with charts that point to small island villages that need defending from Vikings, and the third tab offers for sale compasses that permit pirates to navigate to a confrontation at sea against a Brigand King.
Every three minutes, the hall will restock new charts or compasses to replace those that have been purchased by pirates. When fully stocked, each tab contains a full array of the possible types and sizes of the particular expedition. For Imperial outposts, this means a chart of each size (small, medium, large, and huge) in both sinking and non-sinking. For Viking raids, this means a chart of each size (small, medium, large, and huge) in both swordfight and rumble. For Brigand King compasses, this means a compass for each Brigand King.
An explorers' hall has no hold.
Rooms and furnishings
|Explorers' hall Building|
- Prior to release 2015-04-28, Explorers' Halls did not contain tabs. Rather, there were only eight total charts and compasses, and each time an expedition spawned, its type was random. Thus, it was possible to have a fully-stocked hall with zero available expeditions of a specific type (e.g. no Brigand King compasses). This release also decreased the chart/compass respawn time from seven minutes to three.
- The rent was reduced further to 5,000 pieces of eight on release 2014-02-05.
- The rent was halved from 30,000 pieces of eight to 15,000 on release 2011-03-22.
- Explorers' halls were released on production oceans on release 2009-11-18.
- Explorers' halls were first released on the Ice Ocean on 2009-11-11.