An alliance is a formal political agreement between two flags.
Alliances are usually formed for one or several reasons, including:
- mutual defense of islands in blockades
- coordinating blockades on other islands
- trade or shopkeeping agreement
- courting friendly relations with like minded flags
Alliance webs can become very complex. Declarations of war are often difficult as war cannot be declared if the two flags have a common ally three levels out. This often leads to temporary dissolution of alliances to declare wars.
How flags become allied
Royalty of a flag can find an option to form an alliance with another flag on its info page. Doing that sends a message to the other flag, stating, "<Flag A> has proposed an alliance. If ye propose an alliance in return, ye will be allies!" It also places a statement on the original flag's info page that, "This flag is trying to form an alliance with <Flag B>."
If a royal in Flag B were to propose an alliance in return, it would then go to a formal vote among Flag B's royalty, and the motion will be one of the following options:
- carried when a greater amount than one-half of the royals vote in its favour
- defeated when greater than one-half of its royalty vote against it
- carried if the vote is still evenly split after three days
Once an alliance is approved, it is listed on both flags' info pages on the left-hand side.
Sending out alliance offers without first consulting with at least one of the royalty of the flag being proposing to is generally considered bad etiquette.