I'd like to see the following changes to your templates:
- Please rename them to use multiple words instead of scrunching them together. Example: Use "room start" not "roomstart".
- For rows 1 and 2, please center the text.
- Delete row 4. It's redundant.
Also, I have no objection to renaming the images to make things easier for the template. However, I'd like to see you just do it for the shacks until your template is finished and ready.
As for paint, you're going to run into some very serious issues with the format you've chosen. I don't think you should assume that all surfaces are just "walls" and "trim". It's not a house, but you'll see that the right-facing upgraded palace has a room with 4 paintable surfaces. Also, the N/A fields seem unnecessary. They should probably only be there if the surface is indeed paintable. --Barrister 22:20, 14 July 2006 (PDT)
- I ran into problems when getting my head around how I could approach the paint issue. I originally intended to only make the text appear if the surface is paintable - but I thought I'd be clever and try and dodge having to make three variables for it. That was a dodgy experiment...
- Also - Row 4? *checks code* --Sagacious (talk) 02:22, 15 July 2006 (PDT)
- Take a gander at my scribblings at Template talk:Roomtable, if you're so inclined. --AtteSmythe 22:57, 14 July 2006 (PDT)
- Looks neat - gotta work out a few things in my head though. This coding drives me nuts sometimes. --Sagacious (talk) 02:22, 15 July 2006 (PDT)
- When I wrote "row 4", I was referring to the row immediately below the pictures. Sorry for the confusion. --Barrister 02:29, 15 July 2006 (PDT)
- Ahh ok. Yeah I was never really a big fan of that row myself. I just included it because of atte's tinkering to the table format last time. Not sure on the latest revision though...I like borders. --Sagacious (talk) 02:31, 15 July 2006 (PDT)
- I think I've overcome the paint problem. It would have been hard to code right in a template like I was trying to - so this is the next best thing. Opinions now on the table.
- While adding my signature for the last message, just wanted to thank atte for some more formatting code for the table. Just a minor tweak or two - looks good. --Sagacious (talk) 11:13, 16 July 2006 (PDT)
Before I start making the extra cell templates and uploading more renamed images etc. - I need seal of approval that the current table style and format (and template code) is all good to go. More suggestions are welcome :-) --Sagacious (talk) 20:05, 16 July 2006 (PDT)
- Very nice. I went into your templates and added some spacing and line returns so that they're more human-readable. Please make sure you do this when creating the rest of the templates. Otherwise, no one else will be able to make minor adjustments to what you've done without rewriting things from scratch. Thanks! --Barrister 00:34, 17 July 2006 (PDT)
- Noted. Time for conversion me thinks. --Sagacious (talk) 06:03, 17 July 2006 (PDT)
Break from YPPedia Style
I dislike the colours. Why not stick with the clean greys and whites that the YPPedia uses as standard? --Featherfin 09:02, 18 July 2006 (PDT)
- The problem is primarily the images. Interior images already have a black background, and are of inconsistent height. To fix that vertical alignment problem, we gave the cells a black background, but this created stripes in the table - the information was visually distinct from the image it described. Solutions include just living with that or removing the black background from the screencaps. I still have my .RAW importer, so I can grab clean exterior shots, if needed. --AtteSmythe 09:09, 18 July 2006 (PDT)
I see what you mean. I think the shots look fine with the black background around the actual artwork, as they appear in-game, just having the title and footer in each cell looks too heavy in my opinion. Featherfin 09:21, 18 July 2006 (PDT)
- They are in separate cells, just we decided to make the border around each cell vanish and only put in grey borders around each complete room+info. It wasn't like that before, but compared to my original table design, the one we've ended up with looks much better, to me anyway. And the idea behind the table was to avoid so much white space being wasted on each page, and this new table compacts the information, taking up much less room. --Sagacious (talk) 09:35, 18 July 2006 (PDT)
I figure I'll bring up the topic here in the area of discussion for this stuff. You really should have mentioned that part of this project included your deciding on new names for the rooms. I will defer to Yaten though, as he is the one who had used Yohoho Tools to get the official room names from the xml files. He's currently away on vacation, but I'll leave a note for him asking him to swing by here. While your room names may seem "easier" to you, I'd prefer to keep using the names that were put in the xml's by Three Rings. --Guppymomma 10:10, 18 July 2006 (PDT)
- They may be called 'X' in XML files, but since the room names don't appear in-game, shouldn't they be treated as 'internal' names for the rooms, and not official? I mean, in the media files - not everything is named as it appears in-game - for example, Rumble media files are in a folder labeled 'Boxing'. --Sagacious (talk) 10:16, 18 July 2006 (PDT)
- The internal names are not always the best names, and occasionally contradict the the in-game names. That being said, I did not realize that Sagacious would be renaming the rooms as he went. That's a bit surprising, Sagacious, and I wish you'd said something first. --Barrister 12:33, 18 July 2006 (PDT)
- I now wish I had as well. I didn't realise the source of the naming of rooms until I got to the Manor, where I noticed Yaten's change to the names to match those in XML files when flicking through the page history . Before, I just thought the room names were made up by the person who added them to the article. What made me not realise it sooner also, was the fact most image names didn't match the name they were given in the article. I thought conformity with naming the images tied in with making the room names more consistent as well. The wishlist also gave me the impression that some minor renaming to rooms would be OK. --Sagacious (talk) 12:48, 18 July 2006 (PDT)
- IMHO the only way to have fixed names for the rooms and avoid arguments over things like whether something is a 'main room' or an 'entry room' is to use the media file names, but other than that it doesn't really matter as long as they are consistent. --Angelbeaver (talk) 15:30, 18 July 2006 (PDT)
- If we don't use the OOO names for the rooms, it may be a good idea to do a forum post just to survey the general population about what they refer to the different rooms as if they own/frequent that type just to see what folks do use. I still actually personally feel like it would be good to use the OOO names for the rooms so that we could one day add links to XML files (like the ones Yaten's already done. see Category:House_XML_files) which would have the OOO name for the room. --Guppymomma 15:53, 18 July 2006 (PDT)
- Some of the OOO names may well just be internal. Certainly, some of them are abbreviated and make little sense. I mean, do people really need to know which geographical direction a room faces? An example of change for consistency, is on the estate page is names one room a 'cellar' - while all the other houses call it a basement. I didn't think it should be the odd one out, and so I decided to rename it. I'm up for re-renaming rooms and their relevant image name if anyone disputes a room name I chose. --Sagacious (talk) 16:19, 18 July 2006 (PDT)
- Hey there, mates. I'm back but slowly catching up; this is the first change I've reviewed this month. ;-) Anyway, the original intent for using the XML names was a bit of consistency as AngelBeaver mentioned above, but I'm not highly attached to either method of naming (a forum post might be a way to decide which to use). I'll comment a bit more once I get un-jet lagged. --Yaten talk 19:52, 18 July 2006 (PDT)
- I personally wouldn't like to see this go to forums as it might just turn into a tart fest (as most things on the forum do). --Sagacious (talk) 20:04, 18 July 2006 (PDT)
Bump! I need to know if my suggested names for the left facing estate are ok. --Sagacious (talk) 11:56, 25 July 2006 (PDT)
- I don't mind changing them, but I didn't mind changing the other ones, either. My 2p --AtteSmythe 12:12, 25 July 2006 (PDT)