Wild and Wacky Wiki Featured Article Contest!
The Wild and Wacky Wiki Featured Article Contest! runs on an ongoing basis with a new winner every month. Winning entries are featured on the main page of the YPPedia as the featured article for one month.
Each entrant will create a short summary article of a name space article to be used as the featured article for the YPPedia. Each entry must adhere to the following rules:
- The article must over 200 words and no more than 300 words in length.
- The article shouldn't be about an individual pirate, crew, or flag. Appropriate article topics include but are not limited to puzzles, islands, ships, recently released content, game mechanisms, and other generic types of articles.
- The article must adhere to YPPedia style requirements and have proper spelling, grammar, syntax, and phrasing. In other words, it must be readable. For more information on wiki writing, see the style guide.
- The featured article is meant to be a portal to not only the article it summarizes, but articles related to the feature. Every possible topic in the article that can be linked, should be. See here for more information on word linking.
- You may enter and are encouraged to enter as many articles as you would like to write. Writing more articles will not guarantee you a winning spot for a month and likewise writing less will not reduce your chance of winning. All winners will be chosen based on the merits of the article alone.
How to Submit an Entry
(Please note, you will be prompted to log in before you can edit. Your forum user name and password will automatically grant you access into the wiki.)
In your browser's navigation bar, replace the word USERNAME with your wiki user name (which is the same as your forum user name). Then replace the word ARTICLE_TITLE with the name of the article you are summarizing and hit Enter.
(Please note: All underscores and capitals should be retained to ensure proper name filing. Do a search for the article you want to summarize and take note of the capitalization of the title. For example, Muffynz's featured article on Brigand Kings in the browser line should appear as this: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/User:Muffynz/featured_article_contest/Brigand_Kings.)
You have the path file name for your article started, at the top of the screen hit the edit tab. Then copy and paste the following template into the edit screen:
|articlebody=SUMMARY BODY }}
The places you see in capitals will be where you fill in with your information. Where you see USER NAME please enter the user name you used in the url line above. Under ARTICLE TITLE, enter the title of the article you are summarizing (case sensitive). Then enter the main body where you see SUMMARY BODY. This should be a good, solid summary of the main article we're trying to draw attention to. For example:
|articlebody=The rain in Spain falls mostly from the sky...
Once you're done completing your article, save the page and you're set. Everything else is done automatically through the template.
Once a month, 5 entries from the entrant pool will be selected by the event organizer, Muffynz. He will be looking for correct spelling, grammar, word use, accuracy in information, and adherence to the aforementioned rules. These 5 will then be voted on by the members of the YPPedia community and a winner will be chosen. As the YPPedia is a publicly editable wiki, this event will follow standard practices and all votes will be held publicly on the featured article's talk page.
Each voter will rank the 5 articles from 1-5 with 5 being their favorite article and 1 being their least favorite article. Each numeric value on the scale may only be used once. For example:
Sue, Joe, Bobby, Mike, and Ken all entered. A voter would vote like this:
Joe - 5, Bobby - 4, Ken - 3, Sue - 2, Mike - 1.
With Joe's article being their favorite and Mike's being their least favorite.
Voting will take place on the Featured Article's Talk Page. Simply follow these steps to cast your vote!
- Log into the YPPedia using your forum user name and password.
- Follow this link: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/index.php?title=Template_talk:Featured_article&action=edit§ion=1
- Underneath the most recent vote, put this line exactly as you see it here substituting "favorite article" and such for the user name of the player that wrote that article: #Favorite article - 5, Next favorite - 4, Next favorite - 3, Next favorite - 2, Least favorite - 1. --~~~~
- For voting purposes, use the user name of the article you are rating to cast in the above line.
- Then just save the page and your vote is cast. It is suggested that you preview the edit first just to make sure everything was done right.
All entries must be submitted no later than 5 days before the end of each month. These 5 days will encompass the voting with the vote ending at Midnight pirate time on the first day of the new month. The winner will be declared and the entry posted to the main page that same day. All entries not winning that month will be automatically carried over into next month's pool. It is not necessary to resubmit but highly recommended that some tweaking and refining is done before the next vote.
In addition to the pride and feeling of self content inherent in having their words and article prominently displayed on the main page for a month, winners will all receive the following commemorative prizes:
- An inscribed lime/violet jeweled rimmed pin with silver medallion.
- 10,000 PoE to be spent any way the winner likes.
|July 2007||Feegle||Olympic Champions League|
|November 2007||Baldo||Ocean Poker Tour|