|This article documents a recently-released or modified feature.|
|Information is still being collected and may change rapidly.|
Greeters can regularly be seen on the docks of islands where greenies start out, answering any questions they might have. Greeters are often also responsible for running special tournaments and pillage trips for greenies to help them become more comfortable with the game. Greeters may run other activities for greenies, as well--whatever they can to help them out and get them having fun.
- Played for at least six months
- Clocked a minimum of 200 in-game hours
- Have a reasonably clean discipline record
The following conditions will bar you from greetership:
If a player is blackspotted or suspended, but the blackspot or suspension is removed from the record, the player will be able to use /duty.
Players are strongly encouraged to review the YPPedia information and general documentation on greetership and the game in general before /dutying on for the first time. Regular review of this information for updates is encouraged.
- A Greeter should always act with the interests of the Greenies at heart.
- Greeters should not abuse their greeter status for recruiting into their crew or flag. If the greeter status is abused, it will be taken away by the OMs.
- A Greeter should always answer questions politely, or decline politely if they are busy.
- Any communication with greenies should be done with proper English (or whatever the language being used by the greenie is). Leetspeak, IMspeak, and other such things should be avoided, as not all English speakers are fluent. If the greenie begins to speak IM, only then may you match them, if you so desire. Mild pirate lingo would also be acceptable.
- The majority of teaching (whether conscious or not) is done not by direction, but by example. It is important how greeters act because the new player will see it and emulate it. Players remember their greeter role models even after they turn yellow.
- Greeters should go off-duty if they will be unable to focus properly on a tell from a greenie. This could be because of talking with someone else, puzzling, or CO'ing a pillage. Missing a /tell is not the end of the world, but should be actively avoided.
Greeter Broadcasts (/greenie)
Main article: /greenie
- Greeter Broadcasts should be used sparingly and never for ordinary chatter. There should not be more than one Broadcast every 30-60 minutes.
- A greeter may do one 'My crew is running a training pillaging' greeter broadcast a day, no more. Greeters should be prepared to answer questions during the pillage. For that reason, having multiple greeters aboard is suggested. Training pillages are NOT meant to be recruiting parties.
- Greeter Broadcasts should never be used to job greenies for blockades.
Greeter Chat (/greeter)
Main article: /greeter
- Greeter chat is to be used solely for greetering related conversations, including such things as:
- Finding answers to questions you can't answer on your own
- Finding someone who speaks a language you don't know in order to assist a new player
- Making other greeters aware of new player oriented events or pillages about to take place
- Should anyone be discovered abusing this chat channel, they should be reported immediately via /complain.
- Greeter chat is not a place to do things like:
- Advertise your business.
- Chat with other greeters about non greeter topics.
- Ask a specific person a question; this is what /tell is for.
- Some general greeter channel etiquette:
- Ask yer question, preferably on one line. There is no need to ask permission to ask a question, as this only generates more chatter.
- If you are a slower typist, or unsure of the answer, see if it gets answered by a faster typist or more knowledgeable person before hitting send.
- If a conversation gets more involved, take it to /tells.
- Be polite, even if telling someone to stop spamming the channel.
- Take requests to stop spamming to /tells, unless it is a group that is doing it.
What Greeters Do Not Have To Do
- Greeters do not have to deal with bad behavior. If someone is offensive complain them to the OMs and get it dealt with.
- Greeters do not have to answer questions. They can go off-duty.
- Greeters do not have to lend money, clothes, or any other items to greenies.
- Greeters do not have to be around at any particular time.
- Greeters can always turn off their Greeterhood and pick it up again later. Don't burn out.
- Greeters have access to the /greeter chat channel.
- Greeters have access to the /greenie broadcast command.
- Greeters can receive tells from greenies via the Ask a greeter button.
- Greeter shortkeys are available to on duty greeters.
- Greeters have a pink name visible only to greenies, other greeters, and Ringers.
- Greeters do not have access to petitions, complaints, or bug reports.